How to get rid of vaginal yeast infection?
What is a vaginal yeast infection?
A vaginal yeast infection which is also known as vaginal candidiasis is a fungus that causes irritation, foul discharge, itchiness of the vagina and vulva.
What causes yeast infection?
The fungus called Candida albicans are responsible for most yeast infections. Although the vagina has a balance mixture of yeast and bacteria, certain bacteria (lactobacillus) prevents an overgrowth of yeast. If there is an imbalance lactobacillus bacteria will not be able to work efficiently and this leads to an overgrowth of yeast infection which causes the symptoms of vaginal yeast infections.
There are a few factors that may cause a yeast infection and these include the following:
- Antibiotics - these decrease the amount of "good bacteria" (lactobacillus) in the vagina.
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Taking oral contraceptives or hormone therapy that increases estrogen levels.
- Weak immune system ( caused by medication or HIV)
- Poor eating habits (sugary intakes)
What are the symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection?
A Yeast infection can range from mild to moderate, the length of time the yeast infection is left untreated has an impact of how severe the symptoms will be. Some of these symptoms include:
- Vaginal rash
- Itching and irritation of the vagina and vulva
- Redness and swelling of the vulva
- A burning sensation while urinating or during sexual intercourse.
- Vaginal pain and soreness
- Watery vaginal discharge
- Thick, white, foul vaginal discharge with a cottage cheese appearance.
- For complicated yeast infection the excessive redness, swelling and itching can lead to vaginal tears, cracks and sores.
- The yeast infection can also be reoccurring.
How to treat a vaginal yeast infection?
Visit the doctor and get a prescription that can be taken orally, on the outside of the vagina or inside of the vagina. There are natural home remedies that can treat a mild ( not severe) yeast infection such as the following:
Plain Organic Yogurt- The yogurt has live bacteria such as lactobacillus acidophilus, which can treat an overgrown in non - severe yeast infection.
Boric Acid- This is a powerful antiseptic that is useful in treating yeast infections. Boric acid capsules cab be used to insert in the vagina. (Do not use orally, when pregnant, if using on the skin always dilute with water)
Garlic- This can be used to treat yeast infection by scraping or cutting the garlic in half then attaching it to a clean fishing line string and inserting it in the vagina at nights until the yeast infection disappears (Garlic may burn for a little while), you can also take alone or add garlic to your meals.
Apple Cider Vinegar- You can use apple vinegar by adding half cup of apple cider to lukewarm bathtub and soak for 30 minutes or more, the acidic component of the vinegar eliminates any harmful micro organisms. ( Do not douche it is not the same as a vinegar bath)
Tea Tree Oil- Dilute with jojoba or coconut oil if you use it as a vaginal suppository. (Only use occasionally and do not swallow)
Coconut Oil- This has anti-fungal properties and can be applied directly to the affected areas.
How to prevent Vaginal Yeast Infection?
Avoid the following:
- Wearing tight pants, pantyhose, leggings/ tights, non - cotton underwear
- Using scented feminine products such as bubble baths, pads and tampons. (Use proper brands)
- Using antibiotics when it is not needed.
- Staying in wet clothes and swimsuits
We Recommend the following:
- Eating yogurt or taking supplements with lactobacillus.
- Well- balanced diet
- Wearing cotton, linen or silk panties
- Washing underwear on hot water
- Using natural feminine products
Shop our Feminine Care Products here: https://lashaunsboutique.com/collections/feminine-care-collection